Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I've Got a Brand New Pair of Roller Skates

Melanie Safka, professionally known throughout her career as Melanie, will be performing at our 61st Annual Original Ozark Folk Festival, Sunday November 9th. The tickets priced at $25.00 are selling fast. To purchase tickets for this rare event contact THE AUD at http://www.theaud.org.

Melanie initially signed to Columbia Records in the United States, Melanie released two singles on the label. Her debut album received rave reviews from Billboard Magazine which heralded her voice as "... wise beyond her years. Her non-conformist approaches to the selections on this LP make her a new talent to be reckoned with."

Later in 1969 Melanie had a hit with "Beautiful People" before performing at the Woodstock Festival. The inspiration for her signature song "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)" apparently arose from the Woodstock audience lighting candles during her set. Later hits included "Peace Will Come (According To Plan)" and a cover of the Rolling Stones song "Ruby Tuesday"

After leaving Buddah Records, Melanie formed her own label, Neighborhood Records, in 1971 with her producer/husband Peter Schekeryk. It was on the Neighborhood label that Melanie had her biggest American hit with the novelty-sounding 1972 number one, "Brand New Key" (often referred to as "The Roller Skate Song"). "Brand New Key" sold over three million copies worldwide. When first released, Brand New Key was banned by some radio stations due to the lyrics being interpreted as being sexual innuendo:"I got a brand new pair of roller skates / You got a brand new key / I think that we should get together and try them out you see / I been looking around awhile / You got something for me / Oh! I got a brand new pair of roller skates / You got a brand new key. / I ride my bike, I roller skate, don't drive no car / Don't go too fast, but I go pretty far / For somebody who don't drive / I been all around the world / Some people say I've done alright for a girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment